This use case is based on the premise that you already have a webshop or website (application) and that you want to offer Settle users the ability to buy items or access to content on a recurring basis.
NOTE: Recurring payment is currently not a defined request type. The concept of a recurring payment is created by allowing a Merchant to post Payment Requests to a Customer (Merchant Initiated) using the Customers phone number. All Payment Requests still need to be approved by the Customer.
The basic flow is:
- Refer to the Settle at Checkout use case for details on how to collect and perform payment requests using a Customer's phone number.
- Once you have the Customer’s phone number on file, you can issue a Payment Request at your convenience. Typical scenarios include:
- The customer is trying to access paid content.
- The agreed billing cycle occurs.
- You are ready to ship a subscription based product.
- The webshop knows the order, the amount due, and now has a match between that order and the customer (with the mobile number). With this information, the Merchant can issue a Payment Request.
- The webshop issues a payment request, for the order amount, with the recipient set to the mobile phone number and sends it to the Settle Server.
- The Settle Server forwards the payment request to the Customer on their phone inside the secure environment of the Settle App
- The Customer approves the payment in the Settle App with a swipe.
- The Settle Server processes the payment and delivers the outcome of the transaction to the Customer in the Settle App, as well as to the Merchant via the API.
- With a successful payment outcome, the webshop can confirm that the order has been paid and, depending on the scenario, grant access, ship a product etc.